I’ve been wanting to try making gum paste flowers for quite some time but have been a little unsure of it. I purchased the basic tools such as a flower modelling tool set (including ball tool and veining tool), a few petal cutters, I used a piece of foam i had here for my foam pad and I used a couple of small plastic containers to hold my flowers until they had set. I did plenty of research on the interenet, watching and reading many tutorials.
I decided on trying a Calla Lilly first. One of my favourite flowers. I have read that a heart cutter is just as good as an actual lilly cutter so decided to use that, however, the heart cutter I had was not the size I was after so I traced around the cutter making it a bit larger and used this as a template. Using the gum paste I had previously made I put together a Calla Lilly. I made the centre a little too large but was generally happy with my first attempt.
Next up was another of my favourite flowers, the frangapani. How I love frangapanies!!! I used a frangapani cutter for this, making two different sized flowers. I discovered that I really need to purchase some decorating chalk colours to make the flowers look right. I used liquid colour which was just too intense.
Overall, I am happy with my first attempt at flower making and I will continue to improve my skills to make perfect flowers. I plan to try a rose next!